RHS Gardening - Be active
Post lock down, it is our intention to rejuvenate an overgrown are using the 5 areas of well being. With sensory areas which will have movement, smells and sound; the children will take ownership of the garden - 'giving back' produce to the school community, they will 'keep learning' about sustainability within our garden design, 'connect' by giving out flowers to those who have helped us, 'take notice' of others needing help and 'be active' to promote mindfulness and be physically active.
We have currently gained the RHS Level 1 award.
Real PE Training with Mells and Beckington Staff
COMMUNITY SPORTING LINKS
- Mells school are supported and work closely with IG coaching and their instructors at www.igsportscoaching.co.uk
- Our swimming provision is assisted by Frome Sports Centre https://www.fusion-lifestyle.com/centres/frome-sport-fitness/
- External companies, such as www.bathrugby.com, give extra beneficial sports coaching sessions to our students
- Mells school has close links with www.allhallowsschool.co.uk, enjoying joint sporting activity.
- We take part in the Golden mile - see https://www.premier-education.com/golden-mile for details
- We use https://plprimarystars.com/ for our curriculum resources.
- We also use https://www.millonthebrue.co.uk/schools-and-groups/ for our group residential trips
- We use https://thedancelady.com/ to provide dance lessons for our children
-We use https://www.teambath.com/sport/tennis/ to provide our children with tennis coaching lessons
- Our school joined in to help with the www.365forwhy.co.uk challenge, with our children running a mile in support
- Somerset Cricket Board provide coaching for us www.somersetcricketboard.co.uk/
2018 / 2019 Games Mark award
Gymnastics at Liberty Gym
Tennis Coaching with Bath University Tennis Club
Wake and Shake!
Virtual Rickshaw Challenge
As part of Children in Need and helping our children be active, we are taking part in the Virtual Rickshaw challenge. We are asking our children to walk, cycle or scoot to school and log the mileage to take us towards our virtual target of 423 miles!
RUN FOR WHY
Friday 12th July the whole school took part in the Run for Why mile challenge. We all had a go at running a mile around the field.
Change for life
The Change4Life club targets those who do not actively play at break/lunch, or those who do not fully participate in PE or those who do not have access to activity outside of school.
The club improves healthy lifestyles and impacts on whole school outcomes. An increase in physical activity leads to an increase in physical health and sense of wellbeing, which leads to an increase in attainment and achievement and narrowing the attainment gap
KS2 children will all be given an opportunity to ‘learn to lead’ as part of our Sports Leaders Programm. This will involve working with the younger children during PE sessions.
Congratulations to the Football Teams today—Team A got through to the World Cup semi finals and Teams B & C got through to the Confederation Cup semi finals! Amazing achievements from all players!
Photo’s below! A huge thank you goes out to ADI for sponsorship of the Team’s kit—we all think they look fantastic !
A huge well done goes to Mrs Atkins and all the children for all their effort and hard work
We are delighted to announce that we have achieved the School Games Gold Mark Award for the 2018/19 academic year. The School Games Mark is a Government led award scheme launched in 2012, facilitated by the Youth Sport Trust to reward schools for their commitment to the development of competition across their school and into the community, and we are delighted to have been recognised for our success.
We received the Silver award in 2017/2018, and Bronze award in 2016/2017